Monday, August 10, 2009

Perseverance

This weekend I took some time away from work and relaxed. It is the first time I really tried to step away and take a break. I did not bring my laptop or my phone. I went to the lake and just enjoyed the time alone. I went for a hike on Sunday through a State Park. There was a natural spring, and a walking trail through the hills. It was a great experience to be outdoors and take some time to be quiet. While I was hiking they had some history packets along the way that talked about the making of the park and who originally purchased the land. I read a short synopsis of the park and how it has come to be protected. The land was bought by a wealthy Kansas City businessman. He bought it to build his recreational home on. He built the home and then died in a car crash. They had interesting quotes about how he amassed his fortune and what kind of a man he was. The most inspirational portion of the text was a quote from his son. He said that his dad would push through whatever problems to find a solution. He went past where many men would have quit. That was his secret. He pushed where others would have turned back.
I think as a business owner that is always happening. There is always a struggle and there is the easy road to stop and turn back, or to keep pushing through. As I looked up at the huge castle this man was able to build in the 1990's I realized not much has changed. It takes hard work and perseverance. I hope one day I can say I pushed through walls when other may have turned around.

http://www.mostateparks.com/hahatonka.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment