Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Right Lawyer For Entrepreneurs

I am currently in the process of closing out my year for the business and am trying to find a couple key documents. I do not seem to have records of them. I contacted my lawyers office yesterday in the early afternoon. At the end of the day I received a phone call from the head lawyer inquiring what my call was about. It was an eight minute conversation that left me feeling like lawyers might be the worst people on earth.
I understand that some lawyers can help people. I listened for eight minutes as this lawyer tried to tell this entrepreneur about our faults and why this was our problem, all of which I knew before I made the phone call. The funniest part of the conversation was when the lawyer told me my lack of detail. I understand and under other conditions would not think of it, but I happened to be looking at a corporate tax return, which they filed under a S Corp. This would not be a problem but, we happen to be a C Corp. It is hard to take criticism for detail when your own firm is not capable of the same detail.
This process just made me think more about Entrepreneurs and how no one is going to help your process. No one has admitted any mistakes sense I have started my business. It also made me realize in order to run a business you have to look at the details as much as the big picture. The big picture is easy for me to see and more fun for me to deal with, but the details will bring the company down. I left the conversations asking, what makes a good lawyer?

No comments:

Post a Comment