Tuesday, September 1, 2009

4 Hour Work Week Review

It may have taken me a few years but I finally just read The 4-Hour Workweek. I will tell you that I have seen this book in airport bookstores and been annoyed. I think it is ridiculous to claim something that is not attainable or helpful. I have had some downtime and thought it was worth a quick read through. My scepticism was not completely changed, but I will say there are some points of interest.
Efficiency-
Timothy Ferriss claims he limits his email time to two hours a week. He does so by engaging an automatic response and having clients handle their own problems. He lets them know he will not be responding for an extending time and that if they have an emergency to reach him.
I think this is an excellent point. There are ways to make people more efficient. At times He felt like the Minute Manager trying to be the most concise and to the point as possible. There is no way that people will not talk or become distracted. Limiting time on email or the Internet is a good way to clearly define time.
Energy-
I will give the book credit for having an abundance of ideas and goals. It is good at showing how someone could take one or two thoughts and apply them to their lives. My criticism is that the book does not highlight what it took to reach the 4-Hour Workweek, which by the way in no way do I believe he works only for 4 hours. He works all the time. When did he write this book? He does a very poor job of explaining what he did to build his company to allow him to outsource. I would also like to know how his company is doing with the current economy. Okay, before I get on a roll about what made me mad. It is a good book. I would not buy it, but rent it from the library and give it a glance over a weekend. See if you can't free up some time on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment