Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Flash of Genuis Movie Review

It is Labor Day Weekend and I really thought I would just relax and take it easy this weekend. I was able to spend time reading and boating. It rained here so I had Sunday inside. I decided to get a jump on my sales and work for the week. I sat down and nothing was on T.V. so I put on a free On Demand movie, Flash of Genius. I had heard of the movie, but no one ever talked about it, and I never thought about it again. A quick synopsis: Inventor (Greg Kinnear) is driving at night and his windshield wipers do not have any controls. They automatically run, and are disrupting his impaired vision. He envisions a wiper that runs more like the human eye, and would be less distracting to the driver. After a few prototypes he creates his wiper. I will let you watch the movie, which at times was hard to watch, but inspiring. It shows a many dedicated to what he invented. He has spent his life working on inventions, and knows this is the opportunity for him. He does not give up! He works after work, late into the night to get information completed. He does not allow anyone to tell him he is on the wrong path. He makes sacrifices, and is forced to make hard decisions. I sat there watching and realized this is sales. This is what a salesperson goes through every day. You have the exciting chase, the Yes, and then the work. It does not stop when someone says yes to your product or service. Sales is about Never Giving Up. Creating the best sales presentation and experience for your buyer. Find a product for their needs, not your wallet. I thought the movie gave a real look into the hardships and difficulty sales and business can be. It showed his years of determination and not giving in. Starting a business is not easy, and not glamorous for a long time. It usually does not mean millions within the first year. It is about sink or swim, pushing yourself. In this economy, which feels like a depression. It is easy to quit, but this shows that hard work and dedication pay off.

1 comment:

  1. My Dad, Bob Kearns dream was Entrepreneurship.

    His goal, to creat a new and useful product, creata a business and provide jobs for hundreds.

    His device did provide Jobs and Profits, but for the infringer's business NOT his.

    Hopefully he contributed to better future conduct by those who stole and used his patenetd devices.

    Dennis Kearns

    http://Dennis-Kearns.com

    ReplyDelete