Monday, September 21, 2009

How To Create A Network

Networks are often the grounds to start a business. Before an Entrepreneur sinks his savings into a venture it is often talked about at the dinner table. These people serve as your Board of Advisers. They can provide fulfilling information and feedback. These may even be your first customers. I have never been great about hounding my close friends and family. I do however let them know what I am doing or thinking about doing. I think their support is necessary. They are not going to be there the late nights, but they can help you through difficult situations. Here is what I have done to create a Board of Advisers:

1. Made a list of trusted Friends and Family

2. Made a list of business associates

3. Made a list of area business resources

I took a week to compile the list and make sure I did not miss anyone. Often you are in contact with friends and family every day but you may not know what resources are available in your area. I searched Junior Colleges, and and Small Business Organizations. After I compiled my list I made an email chain. I put them in the bcc box so they could not all see each other. I then stated what I was planning or have already started. I sent them a link to my website and asked for their feedback or if they knew anyone who might be interested in my service to pass it along.
I will say it takes courage to send this out. You are putting yourself on the line. Take a deep breathe and just start talking about what you are doing. People are excited to hear about new developments, and after the first one it will become a lot easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment