Monday, September 14, 2009

Small Business Accounting


I once sat in a class and declared that I would not need to understand Accounting because I would hire someone to take care of it for me. I now sit at my desk with Quick books open next to me. I have uploaded the 2009 Software onto my Mac. The program cost $200.00, which is one hundred more than the P.C. version which seems crazy. I have opened the program and uploaded the file from my bookkeeper. Past this I am completely clueless. I have contacted a couple of tutorial sites and not been able to give in yet. Quick books seems to be the standard for Small Business and Entrepreneur's Accounting Software. I am trying to take it step by step to understand the process and create something that works for me. So far here is what I have figured out.

1. Create your Chart of Accounts - Take the time to lay out all of your Vendors and Sales and create a succinct chart of Accounts.

2. Check out a help book from your local Library - Take the time to pick up a help book from the library to help guide you through the process.

3. Contact a Local Bookkeeper to help with any problems - I have a bookkeeper I have used for two years who has helped smooth out the process and is helping in the transition.

4. Spend hours on the program - Spend a Sunday afternoon just playing around with the program getting familiar with the reports and inputting data.

Quick books is not Quick nor has it been Easy for me. It has taken a lot of time to figure out what to do. Maybe others have a different experience. I have had to put in as much time with the software as I do with other areas in my business. I hope it will give me a better snapshot of the business, but I am still a lot of hours away from fully grasping it!

No comments:

Post a Comment